Oakland Wrongful Termination Lawyer
At Scott Wagner and Associates, P.A., our Oakland wrongful termination lawyers are standing by, ready to protect your rights. We are leading the way in California employment law and labor law. If you or your family member was unlawfully fired or laid off, we can help. To set up a fully confidential, no obligation consultation with an experienced Oakland wrongful termination lawyer, please call us today.
Wrongful Termination Claims in California: What You Need to Know
California is an at-will employment state. Under an at-will employment standard, an employee can be removed for any reason. In other words, a business or organization does not need to prove “good cause” to fire or lay off an employee. Indeed, there does not have to be a reason at all. Companies have considerable discretion to make their own hiring, firing, and general personnel decisions. That being said, there are still limitations over what an employer can and cannot do. Employers cannot terminate a worker for an unlawful reason. Here are some of the most common grounds for wrongful termination in California:
- Discrimination: You cannot be fired on discriminatory grounds. If you were removed based on a protected characteristic—race, gender, age, disability status, etc.—you were the victim of wrongful termination.
- Retaliation: You have the right to report misconduct and engage in other protected activities. Employers fired on retaliatory grounds can file a wrongful termination claim.
- Breach of Contract: Employers are bound by valid contracts. If you were fired in breach of a contract, you can seek compensation through a wrongful termination claim.
- Public Policy: California public policy prohibits certain conduct by employers. You may have a wrongful termination claim on public policy grounds.
It is not easy to know whether or not you were the victim of a wrongful termination. In many cases, employers try to conceal unlawful terminations with pre-textual (false) reasoning. A lawyer will help you understand your rights.
Why Hire the Oakland Wrongful Termination Attorneys at Our Law Firm
Wrongful termination claims are complicated. At Scott Wagner and Associates, P.A., we are zealous advocates for employees. If you were fired or discharged in violation of state or federal law, you need professional representation. When you schedule a consultation with our firm, you will get to speak directly to an Oakland wrongful termination lawyers who can:
- Listen to your story and explain your rights;
- Gather the evidence and information you need; and
- Take action to protect your rights and get you justice.
Wrongful termination claims are highly fact-specific cases. If you are considering legal action, you need an Oakland wrongful termination attorney who will put in the time and resources to understand your situation and build a strong, well-supported claim.
Contact Our Oakland Wrongful Termination Lawyers Today
At Scott Wagner and Associates, P.A., our Oakland wrongful termination attorneys are aggressive, effective advocates for employee rights. If you or your loved one was wrongfully terminated by an employer, our lawyers are here to help. For a strictly confidential initial consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us today. We represent unlawfully terminated employees in Oakland and throughout Alameda County.